Sunday, July 26, 2009

spring around the bend-- the beginning

a beginner's gardening adventures in columbia hts, washington DC.
also other adventures





my vegetable garden started this year around christmas time, when i received a grow your own mushrooms kit from my mum and a salsa growing kit from my friend kiera. around this time i also met someone at a potluck in dc that happens to be the president of the "twin oaks" community garden, conveniently located 5 blocks from my house. i saw all of this as a sign that i should start gardening this spring. so i signed up for a plot in the community garden, started my salsa seeds and mushroom box, and that is the beginning of my very first vegetable garden.


the first seedlings!


top to bottom: house plants inherited from a friend, chives from the farmers market, and salsa seedlings-- tomato, sweet pepper, cilantro, cayanne


much more from the beginning soon to come.

1 comment:

  1. Exciting!

    Found your blog by clicking on the magical "Next Blog" button at the top of the page.

    My boyfriend and I started our first garden this year too. We picked our first green beans, cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes yesterday. We also have parsley and rosemary. It's been way more exciting than I thought it would be...we'd text each other pictures whenever we saw a new sprout. Wish we had peppers!

    ReplyDelete